Habush Habush & Rottier S.C.® > Articles > Municipal Negligence

Municipal Negligence

Cities and townships are responsible for properly spending tax dollars on public services, such as education, parks and libraries. Another important part of your taxes is the portion that goes towards road construction and maintenance. When a municipality ignores the quality of its roads, it can put you and your loved ones in serious danger.

When you pay your taxes, you are already paying for safe roadways. However, due to improper construction and the natural wear-and-tear of age, roads can erode and develop problems like uneven pavement. This can cause you to lose control of your vehicle. If you have been injured in a car accident resulting from municipal negligence, contact an experienced Stevens Point auto accident lawyer from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, at 800-242-2874 to learn more about your legal rights and options.

Types of Municipal Negligence

Cities must remain aware of two problems with roads: the need for more roads to fit a growing population, and the need to fix road damage. Without more roads, the older roadways endure higher amounts of traffic, which can worsen any existing damage. Overall, this can lead to problems such as:

  • Potholes
  • Uneven pavement
  • Steep shoulder drop-offs
  • Lack of signs
  • Lack of guardrails

The Dangers of Damaged Roads

Although things like potholes may only seem like a minor annoyance, they can cause serious problems to your vehicle over time. Bouncing over potholes and uneven pavement can result in tire damage, suspension problems, and misalignment. Also, going over steep shoulder drop-offs may cause rollover accidents.

Contact Us

Unsafe roadways from municipal negligence can cause damage to both you and your vehicle. If you have suffered injury in a car accident as a result of municipal negligence, you may be able to receive compensation for your losses. Contact a qualified Stevens Point personal injury lawyers from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, today at 800-242-2874 to discuss your legal options.