At one time, only large refrigerator magnets were used in children’s toys and games. However, tiny-yet-powerful rare earth magnets have become more affordable, making it cheaper for toy manufacturers to use these items in children’s toys. Sadly, though, rare earth magnets are easily swallowed by young children, which can lead to serious health problems.
When toy manufacturers use rare earth magnets, they must make sure the metal bit is securely attached to larger parts that kids cannot ingest. Sometimes, though, they fail in this duty to you and your innocent children. If your child has been harmed by a magnetic toy or other defective product, contact a Stevens Point product liability lawyer from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, today at 800-242-2874 for a free case evaluation.
Rare earth magnets are not actually made of a rare substance, but they are 1.5 to 3 times stronger than regular refrigerator magnets. Developed in the 1970s and 1980s, these magnets have now found their way into children’s toys. They are so strong, however, that if a child ingests multiple magnets, they can attract each other through the intestines and other organs.
If a child eats one tiny rare earth magnet, it can usually make its way through the child’s body without causing harm. On the other hand, if a child eats multiple magnets, they can attract and form clumps in the body. This can cause complications such as:
Already, 15 million magnet-containing toys have been recalled due to the health risks associated with ingesting rare earth magnets.
Toy manufacturers are responsible for making sure that their products are safe for children. If your precious son or daughter has been hurt due to a magnetic toy, you should fight back against this terrible manufacturer negligence. To discuss your case, contact a knowledgeable Stevens Point product liability attorney from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, at 800-242-2874 today.