Lead poisoning is caused by increased levels of lead in the blood. This is a very dangerous medical condition which is not difficult to contract. This condition can lead to neurological damage, renal damage, cardiovascular issues, and reproductive toxicity.
There is no known threshold for lead that is considered safe. It takes a very small amount of lead in the blood to have hazardous effects on a person’s health.
Symptoms of lead poisoning can include but are not limited to the following:
There are many other effects of lead poisoning that can occur as well. In some cases, the toxicity of lead can cause a bluish line to form along the gums. This is called the Burton’s line. An examination of the blood can often show effects normally associated with anemia.
Studies have shown that early exposure to lead can lead to extreme learning disabilities. The CDC has stated that lead in the blood amounting to 10 micrograms per deciliter or more is cause for concern. However, levels even lower than this have caused impairment in development.
Lead poisoning is very dangerous, and is easy to contract. Lead based paint is one of the most common causes of lead poisoning.