Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs or CFLs are currently all the rage. As the United States moves towards a greener way of living, new inventions and procedures that help curb energy usage are presented every day. The CFL bulb can greatly reduce the amount of energy used for light, last for a much longer period of time, and make individuals feel better about doing their part for a better tomorrow. But despite all the great benefits CFL bulbs offer, they are inherently dangerous in certain situations.
A CFL light bulb is basically a very condensed version of the large scale fluorescent bulbs used to light up very large spaces such as schools or grocery stores. And, like their large predecessors, CFL bulbs contain the hazardous material mercury. Mercury is a neurotoxin and can cause a good deal of harm to individuals.
CFLs can be used in the home without any direct harm as they are not dangerous in their intact form. CFLs become dangerous when a bulb is broken and the mercury can escape into the air. If a bulb breaks, any one in the room should leave for at least 15 minutes. After this, the bulb should be cleaned up without ever being touched with the bare hands and then properly disposed of.
If you or someone you love has been injured by a Compact Fluorescent Light bulb, contact the experienced team of Stevens Point personal injury lawyers at the offices of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® today by calling 800-242-2874