Habush Habush & Rottier S.C.® > Articles > Carbon Monoxide Exposure

Carbon Monoxide Exposure

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a colorless and odorless gas that can permeate the air, killing people nearby within minutes where highly concentrated. This dangerous gas is a byproduct of wood- and gas-burning appliances, which are normally built with vents and other airflow devices to remove the CO. However, faulty ventilation systems can quickly lead to a buildup of carbon monoxide and the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Because carbon monoxide is unnoticeable yet deadly, product designers and manufacturers must work hard to reduce the threat of excessive CO exposure as a result of their products’ use. If you have suffered carbon monoxide poisoning or tragically lost a loved one due to a manufacturer’s failure to produce a safe product, a civil lawsuit may be appropriate. To learn more, contact a tenacious Stevens Point product liability lawyer from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, today at 800-242-2874.

Sources of CO

Carbon monoxide is produced when a wood- or gas-burning item does not fully consume its fuel. Usually, vents attached to a wood- or gas-burning appliance can filter the CO away. However, if this vent is clogged, closed, or defective, it can allow the carbon monoxide to infiltrate your air supply. Sources of CO include:

  • Fireplaces
  • Gas-burning stoves
  • Space heaters
  • Furnaces
  • Gas water heaters
  • Automobile engines
  • Gas ovens

Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

If you inhale CO, the molecules basically glue themselves to your hemoglobin, or the part of red blood cells that carry oxygen. As a result, your blood loses its ability to carry oxygen throughout the body, effectively suffocating you from the inside. Even one breath of carbon monoxide can lead to signs of poisoning, such as:

  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Disorientation
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of consciousness

In minutes, a person exposed to CO can lose consciousness, become unresponsive, and die.

Contact Us

If you have suffered from carbon monoxide exposure due to a faulty product, you may be entitled to financial compensation to help with your recovery. Contact the Stevens Point personal injury lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, at 800-242-2874 today to discuss your case.